Mechanical Mods Explained: Your Guide to Manual Vaping
If you’ve ever admired a fellow vaper and their massive clouds or skillful vape tricks, odds are that they were a mechanical mod user. Also referred to as a “mech mod,” this type of vape device is a favorite among vapers in the know. But for someone who isn’t familiar with mechanical mods, it can seem like an entirely new world of confusing, very technical details.
The VaporFi team fields a lot of questions about mechanical vape mods, which is why we created this informational post. Keep reading to learn how to up your vapor game and get mechanical mods explained by the experts:
What is a Mechanical Mod?
A mechanical mod is a surprisingly simple piece of equipment, far more so than most inexperienced vapers imagine it to be. In simple terms, it is a vape device that provides pure battery power to the atomizer. Because it is much more basic than many standard vape devices, a mech mod contains only a small handful of parts.
- The housing is the portion that contains all of the parts and can come in many different forms. You can choose from a tube or cylindrical form, or a box-shaped one (which is why the term “mechanical box mod” came into fruition).
- The battery provides the power, and a mod might contain just one battery or several. Based on your vaping needs, the quantity and specific type of battery in your mod will vary.
- The most popular atomizer choice for those that use mechanical mods tends to be RDAs, or Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers. With this type, you can drip e-liquid right onto the coil.
How Do Mechanical Mods Work?
Mech mods use a simple process to produce vapor. The battery is in contact with both the top and bottom caps of the mod, and when it is activated, current flows into the heating coil. This circuit is all that is needed to power the mod and make it possible for you to vape.
Is a Mechanical Mod Right for Me?
Mechanical mods might not be the best place to start if you are brand new to vaping, as they do require a bit of experience. Or, if you are a vaper who just wants to keep it simple, and you prefer an easy grab-and-go vape, then mech mods might take more effort that you’d like.
Although mech mods do require a bit more of invested time, they give you the ability to completely customize your vape. If you have been dreaming of producing record-level clouds, then a mech mod will certainly provide you with that opportunity.
What Should I Know About Buying a Box Mod?
One of the most important things to do is to keep an eye out for clones and knockoffs. Clones are the less dangerous of the two, since they are often just slightly cheaper versions of popular builds. However, knockoffs can be straight up dangerous, since you have no idea who may have constructed them.
Also, you will see mention of both “regulated” and “unregulated” mods, which has to do with the inclusion of a specific safety feature that is designed to protect from dangerous power issues. There are pros and cons to each type, with the most significant positive of an unregulated mod being that it offers more options for customization. However, doing your research and learning about each type is essential before you choose one.
What Should I Know About Mechanical Mod Safety and Maintenance?
If used correctly, mech mods are rather safe. However, because there is no onboard system, it is up to you to make sure everything is working correctly.
- Use the right batteries with your device, and keep them charged – but not overcharged. You can do this by checking the voltage level with a multimeter, charging up to 4.2 and then recharging once it drops to 3.3.
- Perform frequent checks for short circuits, and ensure that whatever atomizer you pair with your mod is properly compatible.
- Make sure you have allowed for good airflow so that pressure can be sufficiently released.
- Prevent misfires by storing your mod properly, especially if it doesn’t have a locking firing mechanism.
How Can I Get Started with My Own Mechanical Mod?
If you’re interested in shopping for a mechanical mod of your own, check out VaporFi’s mods today. We offer a wide range of mechanical mods, and we carry options for vapers with a variety of experience levels, preferences, and budgets. Each and every brand we carry, including our very own VaporFi brand, produces quality devices that you can trust. Choose from a great selection of devices with innovative features and intelligent designs, guaranteeing an awesome vaping experience.
Another benefit of shopping with VaporFi is our 30-day money back guarantee. If you don’t like it, you can have your money back – simple as that. Start browsing our selection today!
Featured Image By Kari Shea on Unsplash
Gianna Del Monte is the Brand Manager at VaporFi. She has been in the vaping industry since June 2015 and has extensive experience in successfully managing and marketing a variety of new vapor product launches. Originally from New Jersey, Gianna has lived in the Miami area for the last 5 years.
Search the Blog
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE 15% OFF ALL E-LIQUIDS + FREE SHIPPING
*Disclaimer: Free shipping for U.S only.