Vaping has become a fast-growing and vibrant industry over the last few years and there are no signs of it slowing down. Currently, the market is predicted to reach a total value of $50 billion by the year 2025.
At VaporFi, we are focused on staying on the cutting edge of the industry and providing our customers with the highest quality products available. As we cater to a wide range of clients, many of our customers are new to vaping or interested in the industry in general.
Like many industries that bring a new product to the market, the history of vaporizers is an interesting one that has seen changes in technology and growing customer options.
Here is a brief overview of this history and some predictions on where the vape industry may be headed.
The History of Vaping
The technology behind vaping traces itself to the first electronic cigarette developed by Herbert Gilbert, which he patented in 1963. Despite being developed in the 1960s, electronic cigarettes did not become a publicly-sold product until 2003. That year, Hong Kong pharmacist Hon Lik was looking for a safer alternative to smoking and patented the first modern e-cig.
The product soon became very popular in China and then worldwide. Vaporizer technology is constantly changing and evolving to create a better user experience. Because of this, vaping equipment can be broken down into several different product generations.
- The First Generation: early generation products resemble cigarettes in appearance and are far simpler, when compared to current offerings. The cig-a-likes are easy to use and maintain and many are composed of only a battery and cartomizer. As simple products, many are disposable while others take refills. While no longer as popular as they once were, first-generation vaporizers played a valuable role in helping people transition from traditional tobacco products and introduced many non-smokers to vaping.
- The Second Generation: saw the introduction of vape pens. One of the most popular vape products on the market, vape pens are largely responsible for the growth of the industry and remain very popular with new and veteran users. The reason for this is that pens are refillable and can make use of the multitude of e-liquids on the market. This allows for a totally customizable user experience. Aside from refillable tanks, pens introduced far stronger batteries and are overall far more complex and long-lasting devices compared to early vaporizers.
- The Third Generation: continued to expand on the end-user experience and saw the introduction of MODs (short for modified or modification) to the marketplace. Like vape pens, MODs improve upon existing technology by being more efficient with a longer battery life. MODs are so named because they allow a user more control over their vaping experience. Features include temperature controls, regulated charging, and improved safety features such as short-circuit protection.
- Coils and Tanks: the evolution of vaping hardware would not be complete without mentioning coils and tanks. They are highly customizable, allowing vapers to further modify their user experience. Different tank types allow users to carefully control airflow which is an important part of vaping. While coils (and, by extension, batteries) allow more precise control over temperature. Temperature control is one aspect of vaping that is becoming easier to control and adjust as needed.
What Does The Future Hold?
When talking about the future of vaping one has to consider legal matters and technology.
- Laws and Regulation: currently, federal laws regulate the manufacturing process for e-liquids. There is a chance that as the industry becomes more commonplace, further regulations into vaporizer hardware could be passed. However, it is worth noting that given the industry’s size and rapid growth, that it will be adaptable to any legal changes.
- Technology: current design trends point to a further increase in hardware efficiency and overall modification ability. MODs themselves will likely become smaller in overall size, more efficient, more user-friendly, safer, and easier to modify to fit user needs and desires.
The vape industry is one driven not just by market needs, but by innovation as well. Unlike many industries, vaping is entirely open to new ideas and is focused on implementing new concepts.
This openness to product evolution is one of the reasons the industry has grown so quickly and vaporizers have evolved into more complex devices in such a short time.
As the industry has grown, the ability of users to fully control their vaping experience has also increased. This has helped create a vibrant and engaged user community.
At VaporFi, we know that as the industry continues to evolve modification will likely continue to be a driving force as each end-user experience becomes uniquely their own.