Every year over four billion people travel on an airplane. Whether for work or vacation, people love to take to the friendly skies;that includes a lot of vapers. Which raises the question: can you bring a vape on a plane? The answer is yes. But that answer is not without restriction or nuance. And individual airlines may vary. Nonetheless, we will cover the rules for traveling with a vape device and e-liquids.
As of 2021, TSA vape rules and regulations for flying with electronic cigarettes require any vapes on planes to be carried on your person or in carry-on bags. Vape devices or batteries are not allowed in checked bags. Passengers are allowed up to 100 ml of liquid, or 3.4 ounces. Any liquids exceeding 100 ml must be in your checked baggage.
Will TSA Take My Vape Out of My Carry-On?
When going through security, take your vape out of the carry on bag or off your person and check it with TSA agents. Remember that the TSA agent will have the final discretion whether or not to allow vapes on planes. There is a slight chance that you may have to leave your vape at the security checkpoint. You may want to travel with a back-up e-cig as a precaution. However, if you follow the rules and are in compliance then you should have no problem.
TSA Vape Policy 2021
So, can you take vapes on a plane? Here is a summary of the 2021 TSA vape rules for taking an e-cig, mod, or vape juice on an airplane:
- No e-cigs, batteries, or any vape devices allowed in checked luggage.
- You are allowed to take vapes on planes as long as it is on your person or in a carry on bag.
- Check with the individual airline to confirm they allow vapes on a plane per TSA regulation.
- Can you bring e-liquid on a plane? Yes, you can carry on up to 100 ml, or 3.4 ounces, of vape juice on a plane.
- Vape juice bottles in excess of 100 ml must be packed in checked baggage.
Going Through Security With Your Vape:
- If carrying a vape on your person, show it to the TSA officer, or security officer in any given country.
- If the vape is in carry-on bags, remove it and show it to security before putting it in the tray.
- The TSA agent will have discretion and make the final determination to allow you to travel with your vape.
That is the list of TSA rules for flying with e-cigs as of 2020. But now we need to discuss some of the nuances regarding traveling with vapes on planes. Let’s answer some frequently asked questions outside of simply, “Can you take a vape on a plane?”
TSA Rules for Vapes on Planes
- Can you take vapes on planes? – Yes, follow the TSA rules for flying with e-cigs listed above. No vapes in checked bags. Vapes and batteries must be carried on your person or in carry on bags.
- Can you bring vape mods on a plane? – Yes, as long as the mod is on your person or in a carry on bag. If carrying spare batteries, make sure that any extra batteries are also on your person or in a carry-on bag. Ideally, keep any extra batteries with your other electronics such as in a laptop bag.
- What Are The Rules For Traveling On A Plane With E-Liquid? – Passengers are allowed up to 100 ml of liquid in a carry-on bag. That includes any liquids such as shampoo, a bottle of perfume or cologne, or e-liquid. The total amount of liquids cannot exceed 100 ml or 3.4 ounces.
- Can you bring a vape pen on a plane? – Yes, you can bring a vape pen on a plane. A vape pen, even though it is smaller than a mod, is still an electronic vape device and must be kept on your person or in carry-on baggage.
- Is flying with vape cartridges or pods allowed? – Yes, passengers are allowed to fly with vape pods, cartridges, or coils. In fact, e-cigs and refill cartridges are very convenient for travel. We have heard that vape pods tend to leak at high altitudes.
- Is My Vape Battery Charger Allowed On The Plane? – Yes, your vape battery charger can be in either your carry on or checked bags.
- Can I bring a power bank on the plane? – Yes, but only in a carry on. No power banks allowed in checked baggage.
Can You Vape On APlane?
Passengers are not allowed to vape on a plane. If you think you can sneak a few puffs in the restroom, think again. The rules and laws make it clear. There can be stiff consequences including arrest and fines of up to $4000. If your vape cloud is mistaken for smoke or sets off a detector, the plane will be immediately diverted to make an emergency landing. Airlines take zero chances and will divert and land at the slightest hint of a potential problem. If that white cloud of vapor is traced back to you, the consequences could be even worse.
So, can you vape on a plane? Do not vape on the plane! Also, don’t attempt to stealth vape. It is not worth the risk. Be considerate of other passengers. You can take vapes on planes but do not use it until you get back on the ground. It can be hard to get through a 13-hour flight; consequently, if you are on a long-haul flight you might want to take some nicotine gum to help you get through it.
In addition, you are not allowed to charge vape batteries on a plane. In the past several years, there have been 48 instances of vape battery fires on aircraft. The FAA has strict guidelines regarding any lithium-ion-powered device on an aircraft.
- Vaping is not allowed in an airplane.
- That includes both in-flight and on the tarmac.
- Do not charge batteries on a plane.
Why Can’t Vapes Be In Checked Bags?
The FAA prohibits batteries in the cargo hold because they present a fire risk. The Transportation Security Administration will security check luggage for anything that could present a fire risk in the cargo hold. If a fire starts in the cargo hold, there is no way to access or extinguish it. There have been accidents caused by cargo hold fires. A lithium battery can be a fire risk if improperly stored and if it comes into contact with other metals. Air travelers, do not pack your vape in your checked bag. That includes box mods, vape starter kits, or any vape gear that contains a battery. All vapes on planes have to be secured on your person or carry-on bag(s).
Four Tips For Traveling With Vape Gear
Next, we have five tips to take your vape or electronic cigarette through airport security, onto the plane, and on to your destination! We also have a suggestion for the best e-cig to travel with and we will explain why.
Our first tip deals with vape leaks. Whether your vape is in your pocket or carry on luggage, vape leaks are common in flight. Now a leak in flight is not dangerous, but it is messy. Why do vapes leak on a plane? Because of how high you are. No, we are not talking about weed vapes! We are talking about how high you are in the air!
A modern passenger jet aircraft flies at over 30,000 feet in altitude. The thinner air at higher altitudes is easier to fly through and saves on fuel costs. However, the air pressure at 30,000 feet is much less than the air pressure on the ground. In fact, there is not enough pressure or oxygen at 30,000 feet to sustain life. As a result, all passenger jets rely on a pressurized cabin. The pressure in an airplane cabin is the same as the air pressure at 10,000 feet above sea level.
Mimicking the air pressure at 10,000 feet satisfies the pressure and oxygen we need to be conscious and listen to the work problems of the guy sitting beside us in seat H3. But the air pressure at 10,000 feet impacts liquids. Liquid expands when there is less air pressure. For example, a filled vape tank will leak because at 10,000 feet the air pressure allows liquid to slightly expand. As a result, not all vapes are suitable to take on a plane. As a result, our first tip deals with traveling with e-liquids.
1. Taking Vaping Liquid On A Plane
As pointed out in the TSA guidelines, travelers can take up to 100 ml, or 34 ounces, of liquid in your hand luggage or carry-on bag. Vape juice in excess of 100 ml must be placed in your checked bags. If you put a brand-new, full bottle of vape juice in your checked luggage, it will leak during the flight. Because the bottle is full, there will be no room for the liquid to expand.
Before packing your vape gear and e-liquids, check the e-liquid bottles. If the bottle is more than ¾ three quarters full, squeeze some liquid into a spare bottle. Give some room inside the bottle for the vape juice to expand. Also, place all e-liquids in a zip-lock bag and seal it.
The same rules and laws of physics apply to any e-juice in a vape tank. If carrying a mod and vape tank onto the plane in a pocket or hand luggage, empty the tank before you leave the ground. Or at the very least, fly with your vape tank only half full at most. A vape tank has many places for the juice to leak out. If it does leak, well e-liquid does contain nicotine and if you get some on your skin wash it off right away. But empty your tank before you take off and you have no worries!
- All e-liquids in excess of 100 ml or 34 ounces must be packed in checked bags
- You don’t have to declare e-liquid, just make sure it is less than the 100 ml limit
- Travelers are advised to place their vape juice bottles in a sealable zip-lock style bag and store vape liquids in with your checked bags.
- Empty your vape tank before traveling with a vape on an airplane.
2. Travel With Back-Up Vape Device
Can you bring a vape on a plane? Yes, we have discussed this at length,and there shouldn’t be any problem bringing vapes on planes, so long as the previously mentioned rules are understood. But there is always a chance a concerned airport security officer could prevent you from taking a vape on any airline flights. It comes down to an individual decision made by security. Maybe you have a quad mod with custom features and the officer will deny it. It’s a small chance but you never know. We wonder, why take a chance?
If security denies passengers the ability to take vapes on planes, then you have three choices:
- Miss your trip and go home.
- Carry a self-addressed package and mail your vape home to yourself.
- Allow security to confiscate your vape and never see it again.
- Prepare with nicotine gum for your flight or trip, and prepare to purchase another device upon landing in your destination.
3. Going Through Security
Going through security with a vape, tank, liquid and batteries is usually quick and easy. However, TSA officers exercise care to examine all electronic devices more thoroughly. Part of our tips for traveling includes cooperating fully with TSA and being open about carrying your vape with you. Tell them if it is a nicotine vape or a pen with CBD oils; whatever it is, be open and honest.
We also advise breaking down the device into component parts. For example, remove the tank from the mod and make it easy to inspect your vape gear. Also, we recommend using a vape carry case. It keeps your vape gear together and it also allows you to store your vape in component parts, which aids the inspection. At the very least, make sure to have a carry case for any extra batteries you bring along.
Summary of tips to get through security when traveling with vapes on planes:
- Be respectful and cooperate fully with security officers.
- Be open and show your vape device.
- Separate the mod and tank to present for security inspection.
- Use a carry case for your vape gear.
- Store batteries in a battery carry case.
- Keep batteries and chargers with other electronic devices such as laptops.
5. No Vaping On The Plane!
Can you vape on a plane? We can’t stress enough:don’t vape on the plane. What happens if you vape on a plane? Nothing good! Vaping on planes can lead to heavy fines, and even arrest. The vaping community is constantly being hit with bans and restrictions of all kinds. In bringing vapes on planes with responsibility and respect, vapers have the chance to help build legitimacy, or worsen the case for smoking alternatives; no matter what, traveling safely with your vape will help you and all other passengers get to where you’re going in a safe and secure manner.
Fly With Your Vape And Have A Great Trip!
So, again, can you bring a vape on a plane? You can, but you’re expected to do so responsibly and with accountability. Follow the Transportation Security Administration laws, cooperate with TSA agents, and you should have no issues. Just double-check with each individual airline to go over their rules for vapes on planes. We also recommend traveling with a back-up vape and leaving your expensive mod at home. It will be there when you get back. In need of some new vape gear? Check out VaporFi’s top vape pens and flavors for on-the-go vaping. Most importantly, have a safe trip and an outstanding time!