SMOK AL85 Review: What to Know Before You Buy
No matter if you’re fairly new to the vaping scene or a long-time veteran, we’re willing to bet that you’ve heard plenty about the SMOKTech brand. SMOK has established a serious fan base and earned industry respect for their top-notch vapes that take innovation and performance to a new level, all while maintaining a stylish, user-friendly design. One of their most popular vaporizers is the SMOK Alien Mod, a 220W powerhouse that many vapers own and love. So, when the brand announced the SMOK AL85 Baby Alien, it generated a lot of buzz in the community.
Maybe you already own the SMOK Alien and are interested in giving this new device a spin, or perhaps you’re looking to invest in your first-ever SMOK mod. Either way, we’ve put together a SMOK AL85 review to help you learn more. Once you’re fully informed about the pros and cons of this hot new vaporizer, you can decide if you’ll be adding the SMOK AL85 mod (or even the full SMOK AL85 kit) to your collection.
The Basic Specs
Before diving in to our full SMOK AL85 kit review, here’s a quick summary of its specs:
- Uses one high-amp 18650 battery
- Measures 71mm x 48mm x 27mm
- Wattage output ranges from 1 to 85W
- Minimum atomizer resistance is 0.06ohm
- Temperature range is 200-600 degrees F
- Compatible with Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless-Steel heating elements
- Memory mode
- HARD/NORM/SOFT drawing options/effects
- Zinc alloy construction with ergonomically-placed buttons
- Full-matrix OLED display screen
- Stealth-firing mechanism
- Top-loaded, threaded battery cap
- 510 connection
If you get the full starter kit, you’ll receive the top-rated SMOK Baby Beast tank. Its specs are as follows:
- 22mm diameter
- Made from stainless-steel with high-grade glass reinforcement
- 3mL e-juice capacity
- Top-fill design, includes hinge lock
- Black Derlin ultra-wide drip tip
- Baby turbo engines coil structure
- Baby Replacement Coils: 0.2ohm V8 Baby-Q2 dual coil; 0.15ohm V8 Baby-X4 quad coil; 0.15ohm V8 Baby-T8
- V8 Baby RBA with two-post deck
- 510 connection
Aesthetic Design and Size
The AL85 Alien Baby stays true to the SMOK aesthetic, with its sleek but substantial body and glossy finish. It’s free of any large emblems or images, simply displaying the SMOK brand name in understated typeface.
The device is called the Alien Baby for good reason, because it’s basically the “baby brother” to the Alien. The AL85 is shorter and wider, though the general look is extremely similar. One major difference between the Alien Baby and the Alien is the location of the battery compartment cap. On the AL85, you’ll find it on top next to the 510 connection, whereas the Alien placed the battery door on the underside of the mod.
Because of its compact size, the Alien Baby is comfortable to hold in your hand, but still heavy enough to feel substantial. You won’t have to deal with a flimsy, too-light mod that’s prone to being dropped, because the AL85 is sturdy and easy to grip. You can feel the quality construction in the palm of your hand; it’s no surprise that this device has high ratings for durability.
SMOK AL85 Alien Baby Features
Essentially, the SMOK AL85 Alien Baby is the pared-down version of the Alien, offering slightly fewer features but maintaining the high-quality performance you expect from SMOK. It seems that the goal was to create a user-friendly device that could be used to maximize the vaping experience with less effort on the user’s end, and that’s certainly been achieved. Here are the features you can expect from the AL85:
- The wattage, temperature control and memory settings are easy to use with the button function. Because the buttons were carefully placed to maximize comfort, you won’t have to awkwardly reach to change your settings.
- A stacked OLED display that provides you all your important details at a glance, including the PCB°C, volts, amps, ohms, mode and puff counts.
- Max power at 85 watts, a comfortable middle-of-the-road level that’s gets the job done.
- Supports ohm resistances down to 0.1 ohms.
- The Baby Beast tank that comes with the starter kit incorporates pre-built coils to optimize your sub-ohm vape, maximizing your overall experience.
Although the Alien Baby is advertised as the “mini” version of the famous Alien, don’t expect it to let you down in terms of performance. It’s perfectly capable of delivering sustained power to fuel excellent vapor production as well as high-quality flavor. Paired with the TFV8 Baby Beast tank, it will impress you with pure, unadulterated flavor and large, fluffy clouds it conjures from your favorite vape juice.
Considering its compact size, we’re seriously impressed with the SMOK AL85. All of this great performance is wrapped in a convenient size that fits easily in your pocket or purse and can be held comfortably in the palm of your hand.
The Final Verdict
The SMOK AL85 is absolutely a can’t-miss if you’re looking for a stylish, high-performance vape mod that is also fairly budget-friendly. Both the mod itself and its starter kit are priced very competitively, especially when you consider all of the great extras you receive in the kit. You’re sure to enjoy your vaping experience with the SMOK AL85 Alien Baby by your side.
Gianna Del Monte is the Brand Manager at VaporFi. She has been in the vaping industry since June 2015 and has extensive experience in successfully managing and marketing a variety of new vapor product launches. Originally from New Jersey, Gianna has lived in the Miami area for the last 5 years.
Search the Blog
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE 15% OFF ALL E-LIQUIDS + FREE SHIPPING
*Disclaimer: Free shipping for U.S only.